Progressive discipline is a method that uses graduated steps to address problems related to an employee’s conduct or performance in the workplace. The objective of progressive discipline is to help the employee correct conduct problems and resolve performance issues at an early stage.
Using a progressive discipline system:
- Provides a consistent, objective and fair process for disciplining.
- Promotes open communication between a supervisor and his or her employee.
- Improves employee productivity.
- Potentially increases employee retention by resolving issues.
- Provides important documentation should a termination become necessary.
*Original webinar presented for AlphaStaff clients on February 11, 2021. Part of AlphaStaff’s 2021 webinar series. Presented by Joni Erwin, Human Resources Account Manager, AlphaStaff