There are serious legal pitfalls for employers who allow telecommuting, particularly in the areas of worker’s compensation, wage and hour law, and protection of confidential information or trade secrets.
Many employers and employees like the arrangement because, in many instances, it:
- Improves recruitment and retention of valued employees,
- Assists employees with balancing work and family responsibilities,
- Increases employee productivity, and
- Serves public policy interests like:
- Protecting the environment, and
- Encouraging energy conservation by reducing traffic congestion and vehicle emissions.
*Original webinar presented for AlphaStaff clients on August 22, 2019. Part of AlphaStaff's 2019 webinar series. Presented by: Carrie Sadler, HR Account Manager, AlphaStaff